Friday, December 19, 2014

Grief, Dystonia and Family: Find the positive and just face it!

So here I am thinking, that can be a dangerous thing, especially for me ha ha. I have so many thoughts about what my family and I have been going through lately. But I have to say that it could be worse, and I am sure many who have read or know anything about me feel the same. It can always be worse, right? Grief, what a nasty little word huh. But we all go through it in some way, shape or form at some point in our lives.

Grief, maybe I should Google the definition, nahhh that is no fun! I will give it in my words. Basically grief to me is the loss of something or also the fact of having to deal with something very hard. I have not looked up the exact meaning but for me this is what it is, and since this is my blog that is how I will refer to it, ha, there it is!

We all go through some sort of grief, whether it be the loss of a loved one or the loss of a job, or the loss of anything. But I do feel there are some forms of grief that are harder to deal with than others, even if the process of going through grief may be similar. Such as denial and etc. But I am not going to go into that, it’s boring, and frankly it can be googled ha ha.

I have always thought of myself as a very strong willed positive person, and probably most that meet me would say the same thing, at least those who have been around me a lot. I am normally energetic and I always try to find the good in something and the good in someone.  Then a big life-changing event comes! BOOM out of nowhere my human side kicks in, and I start going through the process of grief.

I suppose that is what I have been going through lately. Yes I can admit it, I am human and I can be weak at times to the human side of me no matter how positive of a person I am. And yes I have been through this as every human being has been as well at some point in life, and I have experienced it in several different ways throughout my life. But I always try to tell myself, “Wow Dawn, get over it, it could be worse!” But that does not mean I do not need to mentally go through the process of  it and experience the loss of what I am going through.

I do not write blogs to get pity from others, I write to release all the natural human emotions, and for theis simple fact I may be able to help someone. What if someone out there feels alone, and they need to feel, not so alone, and they come across something similar as my story? That is a wonderful thing! I say this because I have met only one other person that has the same diagnosis as me, and just hearing that I am not alone, and all about the struggles and feelings they go through, is well, I don’t know how to explain it. But I am not alone! Someone does understand! Woo hoo! It is a wonderful feeling! So I write, about what may be mundane to some, and life changing and inspirational to others. We all go through something, and right now this is my struggle, the diagnosis of Dopa Responsive Distonia, the loss of my career I worked so hard for, and just trying to manage family and health.

All of this is completely out of my control! That is one hard thing, because being a strong willed person it’s hard to say sometimes, “Ok, maybe I need to take it easy.” I say this because of my decline over the years, it did not happen all at once for me, but little by little I just got to where I could not be the same person I was, even the person I was the day before. I pushed, I tried, I struggled, I pushed harder, but still I was not the same. I did not have the same energy, everything made me tired, no matter how much coffee, I could not move faster, I just was not the same.  And now after many long years I have to face it! Yes I have to face it! This is another hard thing for someone who is strong willed! When strong willed people meet challenges it makes them try harder, but in my case I just could not try harder, my body just would not let me. My body tried to tell me, “Hey, Dawn! What’s up! You can’t do this! So to show you BOOM! TAKE THAT!” And guess what, I did not listen, I kept trying to push harder and harder, to combat the fatigue, to combat my ever weakening and stiffening muscles, and the 24/7 pain, and this made me even worse.  But I can be proud of one thing, I did it all with a big smile on my face and even at my worse, I would do my best to encourage others, that’s just me, that’s what I do. But there comes a time that even the encouragers must give in.

Don’t get me wrong, I was pushing for my doctors to figure out what was wrong, but I in know way wanted it to be something that would slow me down! Not me, I am Dawn! I work hard, play hard and love hard! I wanted a quick fix.

But now here I am, I have to face everything, I have to face my ever changing body, I have to face all these medications, I do not have a quick fix. I have to slow down and actually take care of myself. OH MY, that thought is absurd! I take care and provide for everyone else! It’s not supposed to be the other way around! Ha Ha.

So here I am rambling on, I guess I could go into more technical detail huh. I was relieved when my neurologist finally after all these years told me what was going on. He had an answer, and yes some medication to help. But I think I was not ready for it mentally, maybe I thought he would blow it off as every other doctor would and send me on my way. NOPE, here I am going to all these different doctors, suffering from horrible pain, and my body sometimes still will not work with me, on some days. Nope not a quick fix like I was thinking, something not in my control.

But what I can control is how I still contribute. No I am not working and I cannot work at the moment, even my exercise is limited. This is hard because I don’t want people to help take care of me, I want to contribute financially, I loved working as a microbiologist/scientist! I felt there was meaning in it. But sadly I was wrong, there is more to life than a title, more than what you contribute financially. Its called family!

I can control how I take care of my family, my home and my children. So see here I go again, I have found the good in something bad as I mentioned earlier, ha ha. Look at me still being positive about something huh! I will admit it is hard dealing with the loss of my job, but now I can take all that I focused on work, and put that were it is most important, my children, my family and my health.  This is funny, I’m trying to be serious and here I am with a big smile on my face thinking of all the cute things my kids say and how proud I am of all of them.  Maybe at some point I will go into more details of my Dystonia, but I suppose this is what I felt like writing about today.

My family is amazing! A perfect combination of every personality, both in my home and far away, sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles. And I am happy that I can find the good in my time of Grief. I am more than a microbilogist/scientist, I am a wife and a mother, a sister, a daugher, a niece and an aunt! And I could not be any happier about it. Yes some days are tough, but for strong willed people, that makes us try harder.


I’m not real sure about the point of this particular posting, but I think I just figured it out. No matter what you are going through, no matter what kind of grief you face. Simply stated, find the good, and the positive in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment